Heart of the City Ministries
ORGANIZATIONAL VALUES AND DOCTRINAL STATEMENT
Basis for: We believe that, according to the scriptures, in Christ, there is no value difference between males or females, or between ethnic groups (Galatians 3:28). Christ is our peace and has broken down the dividing walls between us (Ephesians 2:14). Therefore, not only is racial and denominational division wrong (I Cor. 1, 3, 12:12-27), but unity and Godly, loving interaction between us is vital for our Christian lives and for our testimony to the world verifying the truth of the Gospel. (John 17:21-23).
Parameters of: We believe that we must first be reconciled with God and his truth before we can be reconciled with one another (II Cor. 5:18-20), (I Cor. 6:9-11), (I Cor. 5:8-12). Our desire is to embrace our diversity of race/ethnicity, culture and expression within a traditional Biblical worldview. While we may never come to full agreement on every theological issue, we feel that to unite, we must be in agreement about the main historical Biblical beliefs of Christianity. And in that unity in Christ we achieve great joy, love and power.
Definition of: We define the activity of worship as meaning “to bow down to, to give homage, or to ascribe worth to God.” This is a participatory activity. It is a choice. It is what we will do throughout eternity. It is vital to the life of all Christians and should be accompanied by a lifestyle of worship which involves our lives being offered as “living sacrifices” as described in Romans 12.
Biblical expression of: We believe that singing, clapping, kneeling, bowing, raising hands, rejoicing, shouting and dancing are all Biblically legitimate expressions of worship. We do not believe in coercing anyone into these expressions nor do we think that they imply deeper spirituality. Our desire is to allow freedom for use of all the diverse Biblically based forms of expression in worship by those who desire to do so. At the same time, these expressions should not be self-serving and the expression of dance should remain pure and not sexual.
1. We believe in one God that eternally exists in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
2. We believe that the Bible is God’s written revelation to man and that it is inspired, authoritative, and the standard by which we guide our lives, values and activities.
3. We believe in the deity of Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, sinless life, miracles, death on the cross to provide for our redemption, bodily resurrection and ascension into heaven, present ministry of intercession for us, and His return to earth in power and glory.
4. We believe in the personality and deity of the Holy Spirit, that He performs the miracle of rebirth in an unbeliever and indwells believers, enabling them to live a Godly life.
5. We believe that man was created in the image of God, but because of sin, was alienated from God. That alienation can be removed only by accepting through faith alone God’s gift of salvation which was made possible by Christ’s death.